MOT Same Day - While-U-Wait
Family Run Garage, 20 + Years Experience
Free MOT Re-Test
Any Car, Any Age
Class 4, 5 & 7 MOT
Main Dealer Quality – Independent Prices
Monday - Saturday
Unbiased, Honest Advice, On Site Repair Work If Required
A) We have facilities to test more than one vehicle at a time and offer numerous slots every day. You can book here online or call us on 01323 643333 to book a slot at your convenience.
A) You can book you vehicle in for MOT up to 28 days before the current expiry date on your certificate, which will then preserve the same anniversary date of the MOT, so you do not lose any time remaining on your current MOT. If you have your test carried out a month before the due date, your MOT is effectively valid for 13 months.
Example: if your current certificate expires on 20th March, you can take the test between 21st February and 20th March and the new certificate will be valid until midnight 19th March the following year.
We offer our customers a free text reminder service (no marketing texts are sent and our customer lists are not sold to third parties) to remind you that your MOT is due 30 days before expiry.
A) You can have an MOT carried out on your vehicle at any time, but if it is taken more than a calendar month before the expiry of your current certificate, the new certificate will be valid for 12 months from the test date.
Example: if your current certificate expires on 20th March and you had the test on 19th February, your new certificate would be valid until 19th February the following year.
A) If your certificate has become lost or damaged, we can easily provide you with a new one. We only need your vehicle registration number. A fee may be applicable (up to a maximum of £10).
A) The test takes approximately 45 minutes, however please allow up to an hour in case any minor repairs are needed. Please arrive at least 5 minutes before your appointment (you can bring your car in any time from opening onwards). You are very welcome to wait in our clean and comfortable customer waiting area whilst your vehicle is tested. We have a selection of current magazines and a hot drinks machine to help to make your visit that bit more comfortable.
A) The MOT test is designed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency to test whether vehicles that are driven on public highways are roadworthy to and meet current minimum road safety and environmental standards. You should be aware that the MOT certificate is not a guarantee of the general mechanical condition of your car - you should have your car regularly serviced to maintain its mechanical condition.
The main items that are checked during the MOT are listed here.
Almost half of all items failed during MOT tests could be avoided by the vehicle owner carrying out simple checks and maintenance on items like lights, wiper blades and tyres so that your vehicle has the greatest chance to pass it's MOT first time!
A) The MOT tester will need to check that all doors, bonnet and boot is capable of being opened and secured. All seats will need to be placed in the upright position, and all seats must be placed in the seating position on 7 seaters. Seat belt buckles must not be tucked under or behind seats so they can be checked during the test. Check your vehicle has sufficient oil and coolant as engines must be run to temperature for emissions testing. Remove all obstructions from the windscreen such as sat navs, mobile phone cradles and any items hanging from internal mirrors.
A) Each year around 45% of cars fail the MOT test. Many such failures are the result of simple items that can be easily addressed before you bring your vehicle for MOT.
If your MOT has already expired, you are legally permitted to drive your vehicle, without current MOT and Tax (although you must still have appropriate third party insurance in force) to and from Southern Co for an MOT as long as you have pre-booked your appointment with us. Alternatively, we can arrange to collect your car and bring it for MOT.
Have you left yourself enough time? There's no need to leave the test to the last minute - an MOT can be done up to a month before your last one runs out, meaning you can avoid last-minute panics and give yourself time to organise any repair work that might be required.
Before bringing your car to Southern Co, make sure you have:
• Checked that the vehicle identification number (VIN) is present and can be clearly seen (the VIN is usually found where the dashboard meets the windscreen on the driver's side);
• That you have all the keys (ignition, doors, boot and fuel cap);
• Top up your oil;
• Top up your screenwash;
• That there is sufficient fuel; and set the headlight adjusters to '0' (mention to your garage if you are not sure how to do this).
• If you answer 'no' to any of the following, speak to your garage as there may be a problem that could result in an MOT failure.
• Do all the doors open from the inside?
• Is the driver's seat secure and slides back and forward properly on its runners?
• Are the seat belts free from damage, and do they fasten properly and release under pressure?
• Is the rear-view mirror secure and the glass not broken or obstructed?
• After starting the car, do the dashboard warning lights all go out?
• Do the 'telltale' lights for items like the indicators, hazard lights and main beam all work correctly and illuminate when the corresponding switch is Used?
• Does the horn sound loud clearly and loud enough to be heard by other road users?
• Is the windscreen free from chips or cracks? Any chip or crack larger than 10mm in front of the driver and 40mm within the area cleared by the wipers is likely to be a problem.
• Do the windscreen washers work and the wipers clear the screen effectively?
• Do all the doors, bonnet and boot?open and close as they should?
• Are the wing mirrors secure and is the glass broken?
• Are the wipers in good condition and free from split rubbers, and damage?
• Do the tyres have enough tread depth (at least 1.6mm across the central ¾ of the tyre) and are they free from bulges, lumps or cuts? Remember to check the inside of the tyre as well.
Are all the lights working, including the rear registration lamp (both if there is more than one) and brake lights, and are the lenses free from damage and secured to the vehicle ?
• Is there a rubber seal in the petrol cap and does the cap fit securely and seal properly ?
After your car has successfully passed its MOT, you might think you're set for another 12 months of worry-free driving, but that's not always the case. Remember these following points :
• An MOT is merely a visual inspection that simply confirms a car is safe and legal at the time it is tested. It represents a snap shot in time of the condition of your vehicle. The MOT must no be taken to mean that your vehicle will stay in the same roadworthy condition until the next MOT or that the car will remain mechanically safe to drive on the public highways.
• Some important safety and comfort related items are not required to be checked during the MOT. So it's important that you pay attention to these items. Items such as including the spare tyre, rear wiper, reversing light and heater or air-conditioning system are present and functioning correctly.
• A regularly maintained car will use less fuel and has the benefit that faults will be found earlier, which means your car is less likely to break down.
• A service history is proven way to add value to your car and make it stand out from the competition when you come to sell. It is something that most buyers look for evidence of when deciding to buy a car.
Should your vehicle fail the MOT, it will need repairs and cannot legally be driven on the public roads. Unless directly to or from a place of repair. We can carry out any repairs required, including brakes, tyres, welding and emissions repairs, with almost all items able to be carried out in our well equipped workshop, usually the same day. You will be kept fully informed of any repairs required and costs will be notified to you before any work is authorised so you are kept fully informed throughout
If your vehicle has been found to have a dangerous failure, be aware that it an offence to drive the vehicle on a public road or highway, you could be stopped by Police, be prosecuted, fined, Disqualified from driving and have your vehicle seized and that your insurance is likely to be invalidated.
If you have your repairs carried out with Southern Co, the retest is free and we will issue an MOT certificate when repair works are complete. If you choose to have your car repaired elsewhere, you can still bring it back to us for a partial retest within 10 days of the initial test. If you bring your car back after 10 working days, you will be charged for a full MOT.
Get an instant price for your service, MOT or repair needed.
Request a time and date, enter your details and book.
You won't need to pay anything until the work has been completed.
Let others know about your experience. Rate our garage.